Express Entry (EE) is an online immigration application system. It allows people to submit a profile and be considered as a skilled immigrant. Candidates with the highest rankings are invited to apply for permanent residency.
- If you fill out a profile for Express Entry, your application will be ranked according to a points system.
- If you are highly ranked, you will be invited to apply for permanent residence as a skilled immigrant.
- Once you have applied, your PR application will then be processed within the next 6 months.
You must use Express Entry to apply for:
- The Skilled Worker Program
- The Skilled Trades Program
- The Canadian Experience Class
Some candidates for Ontario’s Provincial Nominee Program are also selected through Express Entry.
Do I Qualify for EE?
You qualify for Express Entry if you meet the eligibility criteria for the Skilled Worker program, Skilled Trades program, or Canadian Experience Class.
Your Express Entry profile will get points based on:
- Your education level
- Your abilities in English and/or French (Canada's 2 official languages);
- Your work experience and skills;
- Your age;
- If you have a job offer in Canada; and
- Your spouse's education, language abilities and work experience.
Additional points are also awarded if you have completed a college or university program in Canada or if you have a provincial nomination.
This chart outlines the points you can get for each category. Please note that EE points are different from the Federal Skilled Worker point system.
- Once you submit a profile, your profile will be entered into a pool (group) of all the people who have currently applied for Express Entry.
- You will then be ranked against other people in the pool. Your ranking is based on the number of points you have.
- If you are at the top of the rankings, your profile will be drawn (selected) from the list of applications. You will then get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence as a skilled immigrant.
IRCC has an up-to-date notice about the number of ITAs being issued, and minimum number of points you need to get an ITA.
Read more about the Express Entry pool, ranking and draws system.